Microsoft’s new Halo Infinite blog post had plenty of details on the game’s setting, Zeta Halo, while also featuring a number of gorgeous screenshots. It turns out that the blog post also hid a secret audio message.
It was discovered that the blog post features a conversation with Master Chief and Halsey. According to Eurogamer, this conversation contains references to Master Chief’s last conversation with Cortana during the later stages of the Halo 5 campaign.
You can see a transcript of the secret audio below, from Eurogamer, while you can listen to it for yourself via the integration further down the page:
- Halsey: “How many now? “
- Male: “16 systems have been shut down so far, seemingly random locations.
- Halsey: “You can’t stop it. She knows more about how this all works than … well, anyone.”
- Master Chief: “Dr Halsey.”
- Halsey: “Jean. “
- Master Chief: “What’s the plan? “
- Halsey: “The plan? Right now we’re in survival mode again. Cortana’s message has spread across the galaxy, most of the sentient AIs are lining up on her side.”
- Master Chief: “Against us?
- Halsey: “Yeah … But maybe not you. Tell me John, what’s the last thing she said to you?”
- Master Chief: “She said … goodbye.”
It all seems to be teasing Something about the history of Halo Infinite and how Chief, Halsey, and Cortana could be involved in major drama. The game is set on Zeta Halo, and the Banished will apparently be the main antagonists.
In the blog post, Justin Dinges, artistic director of the campaign, said the Halo Infinite story will resume with Chief’s “awakening” as he takes on the Banished and Cortana.
“Players will not only experience the immediate story of the Leader awakening to face the Outlaws and Cortana, but if they look around they can get a glimpse of the future as well,” said Dinges.
Regarding the design of Zeta Halo, Dinges said the idea was for it to contain references to its “mysterious past” and what the implications might be for the future.
There have been a lot Halo Infinite news lately, so you can check out the stories below to stay up to date with what’s new.
GameSpot may earn a commission on retail offers.